Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Writers Write Day: Part 2

Things I discovered while trying to implement Writers Write Day:

  1. I'm very distractible.
  2. I'm not cut out to write for long, uninterrupted periods. (See #1)
  3. The combination of the lure of the Internet and the habit I've developed of frequent check-ins is much stronger than I realized.
  4. I need to power through the first painful "I can't do this/this is too hard" phase to get to the sweet spot where I can focus and concentrate. Telling my daughter to turn off the TV helps, too.
  5. Butt in chair, eyes on work remains a viable writing rule.

    I've logged a little more than 5 hours since last night, so I still have about 2 hours to go (I'm flexing my day to work around my family's schedule...and my distractibility ;-) It has been a very productive five hours. Which leads me to:
  6. I need at least one of these a month.

4 comments:

Rita Gerlach said...

I went through similar things, realizing how strong the lure of the Internet is. I got a lot of work done from 9 am until about 4. Mostly revisions and then writing the beginning of a new chapter.

Cate Masters said...

I managed about 2k. That's what's great about NaNoWriMo - it's a manic month but it's an incentive to write every day.

Lisa Lawmaster Hess said...

Good for both of you! I got a little more than five hours in...and want to get those last two in before the end of the weekend. Still time today....

Laurie J. Edwards said...

Wow, impressive... And what a great idea!