Thursday, November 17, 2011

Wrap Up

Many readers love to read series.  Lots of writers enjoy writing series.  I personally fit both profiles. 

In my fantasy series, The Futhark Chronicles, the books are a continuous story.  The same characters are the main protagonists throughout all four books.  They're fighting the same battle from the first page until the last chapter.  Like in most epic fantasy series, you enjoy the books more if you read them in order. 
          
 My romance series, on the other hand, while it takes place in the same dystopian world, can be enjoyed not matter what order you read them in.  In fact, if you read the last book in the series first, One Good Woman, you'll hopefully want to read the books preceding it.  The Greater Good started the series followed by The Lesser Evil and A Ruthless Good.  The hero of One Good Woman, Brady Gellot, was introduced in The Lesser Evil but the heroine of OGW, Cara, first appeared in The Greater Good.  She was of those strong but vulnerable women you can't help but love.

My publisher is offering a One Good Woman at a special low price of only $1.99 starting today.  For that price, I hope lots of you can try out this romance series and read Brady's and Cara's story. 

I like four book series though I'm a fan of some very, very long fantasy book series.  How long do you think a book series should be?  Are you willing to try a new author if the price is right like that reasonable $1.99?

4 comments:

M Pax said...

I think it depends on the story as to how long a series should be. As long as the writer can keep it fresh and exciting ... keep going. :)

Cate Masters said...

I echo what M said above. The story line can't recycle old ideas, or it will lose me. I'm not set on any number of books in a series.
Congrats on your latest release!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I agree with you two. I find myself limited to four in my series before I start to run out of ideas. I've read series where I feel the author should have wrapped it up a few books sooner.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I agree with MPax. A series definitely has a point where it will jump the shark. It's important for the author to identify where that point is.