Friday, February 18, 2011

A Bookend to Susan's Blog

First off, congratulations to Susan on her news about Beyond the Gate becoming available on Kindle. No matter how many times a writer has been published, the news of a new book or a new format never gets old.

Just like life, publishing has a life cycle. Two weeks ago, I found out that my first book, Acting Assertively had "sold out." Sounds exciting, until you realize that in the world of educational publishing, that means "out of print." I've begun the process of getting the rights back, and am now beginning the new adventure of determining the next step in the life cycle of this book.

So, I'm asking my fellow Susquehanna Writers and the readers of this blog: have you ever had a book go out of print? What did you do next? And what was your experience like?

3 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I haven't had that happen, Lisa, but if and when I do, I'm going to look into self-publishing the book so it's available on Kindle and all other ebook sights.
JA Konrath has had great success and so have some others. I wish you luck and will be interested to hear what you decide to do.

Cate Masters said...

I'm doing exactly that - republishing a few of my stories on Kindle, Smashwords, etc. as they become available. I'm not expecting the success of Amanda Hocking and JA Konrath, but it's a better return per sale at least.

Lisa Lawmaster Hess said...

Thanks, ladies. Self-publishing is definitely on the short list, but would certainly be a new adventure. Because the book is a teaching tool, but not a textbook, it has reproducibles, and I'm not sure how how those will fare on the Kindle platform. Definitely need to do some homework!