Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Inbox

Even the most hopeful writers fret and fidget when a response to one of our queries shows up. The reaction gets worse when we're lucky enough to send those first 50 pages - and wait and wait and wait. Then the lightning strikes, and we get to submit a manuscript. Our mood swerves between hope and misery until that response finally arrives after what seems like an epoch. So, imagine how I felt when I saw the email in my Inbox after endless months of querying, revisions, self-doubt, recriminations, fear, loathing, hoping, praying, and wishing to God the characters on my pages would leave me alone.

I clicked on the email. The first line said, "...delighted to inform..."

Isn't it funny how just the right words will affect a reader?

(For the record, the novel is called, The Gospel of Matthias Kent, and it will be published next summer/fall by Draumr Publishing of Columbia, Maryland.)

1 comment:

Cate Masters said...

Woo hoo! Go Mike! Congrats on the contract.
I have about four novel queries circulating, so I can relate...
Persistence, my friend!