Saturday, July 18, 2009

Unconventional Book Signings

Unconventional Book Signings
By Dennis Royer

The coming week is a busy one for me with 2 stops on my “Night of the Walrus” summer book tour. First up, Tuesday evening, July 21 from 6:00 to 8:00, I’m appearing at the Inn 74 restaurant near the sleepy little town of Landisburg, PA. This is my 5th appearance at the Inn 74. I always have a blast there and do very well. Imagine going to a restaurant and discovering an author signing books. How could you resist checking that out? Of course, it also helps that they serve alcoholic beverages to loosen up the customers!

My second event this week is Saturday, July 25 from 11:00 to 3:00, when I have the privilege of doing a group signing with my friend, Don Helin, and NY Times best selling author, Maria V. Snyder, at the Ned Smith Center Nature and Arts Festival in Millersburg, PA. With an expected crowd of thousands, we hope to generate lots of sales. Feel free to visit my website: www.dennisroyer.com for details.

No doubt signings at traditional book stores are important to the promotion of an author’s work, but don’t limit yourself to just those venues. I’ve enjoyed success at other unconventional settings such as restaurants, festivals, libraries, private book clubs, senior citizen events, and once I even did a signing at a public school board meeting.

I’m interested in reading ideas from others on this topic. Do any of you have unusual book signing success stories?

4 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have done one in a coffee shop but your venues sound very interesting. Good luck this week and share with us how you do.

Cate Masters said...

Very cool, Dennis! No experiences from the author side yet (but soon, I'm hoping!). I did attend an author signing once before going on the Gettysburg Ghost Tour, which was cool.

Lori M. Myers said...

I did a signing for "Cup of Comfort for Dog Lovers" - in which I had an essay - at the "Woofstock" event along Harrisburg's Riverfront. Got some good sales because everyone was in a canine mindset.

Laurie J. Edwards said...

Thanks for the ideas. Good luck with your signing, Dennis, and say "hi" to Maria for me!!