Sunday, May 31, 2009

Balancing Act

Sometimes, being a writer is all about balance. Balancing work and life, balancing a full-time job and writing, balancing the things you want to write and the things you have to write. I work full time as a school counselor, and in my "free time," my writing projects include articles on spec and on assignment, along with the projects I want to work on, and assignments for a writing class I am taking.

For better or for worse, I am mood-driven in my approach to my writing; I tend to work on the projects that appeal to me in the moment. As long as I keep deadlines posted on paper and/or in the back of my mind, my approach works fine ~ in fact, it works quite well because I write better when I'm focused on something that appeals to me.

George's blog yesterday focused on a similar kind of balance ~ the balance between pleasure and responsibility. Simply by taking his laptop out into the warm sunshine, he managed to achieve a balance between two things that can be so contradictory.

And so it is with my mood-driven writing. By focusing on the project ~ or a part of it ~ that is my heart's desire, I bring my writing out into the sunshine. It doesn't happen every day, or with every bit of every project, but when it does, the writing just flows and everything is easier.

Here's to sunny writing days and unclouded evenings.

1 comment:

Lori M. Myers said...

Beautifully stated, Lisa. Thanks for sharing, and may the sun shine on us all.